Planning routes on flat lifeless map doesn’t really provide much perspective, and surely doesn’t give you an idea about what terrain the route will actually cross. But our new 3D online planner definitely offers as realistic a view as is possible from the comfort of your desk! 3D is a PRO feature, but your first session is on us, so check it out and see if it's worth the upgrade!
Our brand-new 3D ride planner is now up and running on the web-site planning tool. Here’s how to use it.
1) To find it, simply go to the map styles pull-down menu and select 3D.
2) There are three actions you can take to control the map view: zoom, tilt & rotate, and drag to reposition. (Not all trackpads and mouses are setup similarly, but these tips jive with most default settings).
- To zoom on a Mac trackpad pinch vertically (without clicking), on a Mac mouse drag finger lightly vertically without clicking. On a PC trackpad use two fingers to zoom, or on a PC mouse use clickwheel.
- To tilt & rotate map on a Mac trackpad, use two fingers and click and hold while moving. On a Mac mouse, right click and hold. On a PC trackpad, right click, hold and move. On a PC mouse right click and hold.
- To drag map around with a Mac trackpad, use a single finger, click and drag. On a Mac mouse, click center, hold and drag. On PC left click and hold drags, on PC mouse, left click, hold and drag.
3) To plan you then simply click along the map like on any of the other 2D map styles. We recommend tilting the map to a flatter perspective for plotting, and then you can tilt to check out what the elevation looks like. It’s as simple as that.
Check Out Yosemite National Park in 3D Above!